Monday, December 10, 2012

A Series of Christmas Pillows {all with 2 1/2 inch scraps} Part 2


15 days until Christmas!  My kids could not be any more excited!  And to ice the cake we got a dog today!  Her name is Ruby Sue and she is just adorable!  She is 8 months old and a basset hound mix.  We got her from a rescue and her manners are exceptional (so far)!  :)  She is just dreamy!

Today I wanted to share with you the "plus" pillow I made.  It is a very simple pattern, but oh, so pretty!  

To make a cover for an 18 inch pillow form you will need:
2 - 18.5 inch x 12 inch pieces of fabric for the back of the pillow cover envelope closure
20 x 20 inch piece (or so) of plain colored fabric for the back of your "quilt sandwich"
20 x 20 inch piece (or so) of warm and white or warm and natural cotton batting.
81 - 2.5 inch squares - various Christmas colors and prints








How many of each is as follows.  The more variance of fabric colors and prints the better.

5 - 2.5 inch squares of 10 different prints (to make the pluses)
4 - 2.5 inch squares of 5 different prints
3 - 2.5 inch squares of 1 print
2 - 2.5 inch squares of 1 print 
1 - 2.5 inch squares of 6 different prints

When it is all written out it sounds complicated, but it really isn't, just follow the pictures.

1. First we need to lay all of our 2.5 inch squares.  Start with 3 plus signs.

Add some more (using the pictures as your guide)  When all laid out it will be 9 squares x 9 squares.



2. Now it is time to start piecing.  Start by sewing the first row of 9 - 2.5 inch squares together.  Then the next row and so on.  

3. Now you should have 9 rows of 9 squares each.  Next iron them ( I like to press my seams open) and sew them all together.  Make sure not to get them out of order!

4. Once they are all sewn together make a quilt sandwich (see this post for instructions and start at number 12). 


5. Quilt as desired!  


6. For the envelope back closure please see this post starting at #12.


And there you have it!  A beautiful Christmas pillow!



I will be back soon with the last in the series of 3 Christmas pillows!  And I saved the best for last!

Have a great week!
Cherie


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

5 comments:

  1. That is really really cute. I need to make some pillows for our house pretty badly and I really like this pattern. My kids are really excited for Christmas as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The kids are almost as excited as I am for Christmas! :) Happy Holidays to you and your family!

      Delete
  2. I think I could actually make this! I'd better get to work. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, Cherie! I love plus patterns, and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Heidi! You always have the nicest things to say! You are too sweet! :)

      Delete